Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Harley

When I go back to yesteryear, as a boy, I recall always wanting a big dog; a Rotweiller. Surely, a dog like a Rotty would say something about it's owner, me; a trustworthy kind that looks the part of danger, but if you get to know it, you'd find a great demeanor. Rotts are known to protect what is theirs and are good with kids. They like to be around their master and unlike the Pitbull's history, they are good with people and other dogs as long as you don't jerk them around...yep, sounds just like me (except for the master part).

Well, for years and years I'd been adamant about not having a dog unless it was a Rott, and I had a place where it could run freely. Always living in an apartment had kind of put a damper on ever really raising one from puppy-hood, not to mention, living in cramped quarters with a big dog, to me, would not be a good experience.

So what should one replace the idea of a big dog with? I know, a Harley. It's my belief that every guy should have a Harley. Having one, as I have found, can relieve any stress one might be feeling. My Harley is always there and ready to go. Even more interesting is the introspection I got after getting my Harley. When I took it out on the road, I didn't care if anyone thought anything about me or looked at me like I this way or that. I was now someone who had a Harley that I could care for and take wherever I wanted. As a matter of fact, with my Harley, I now have women stopping to talk with me like never before. Amazing what a Harley can do for you, suddenly, I'm approachable.

When I first heard about my Harley, I didn't want to hear about it. I didn't want to take care of it. I didn't need one. It would just cost me more money. I'm too busy to have a Harley, you can't just let them sit. They need to be out on the road, running. Well, my girlfriend got a call from a friend, and after being adamant for a week that I didn't want it, she broke me down and we got my new Harley. I took me about 5 minutes to accept that we now had it. I love it! I wouldn't take it back if I could. I learned that my Harley had been through a lot, and now, after two months of having it, I don't know that I could ever get rid of it. Scratch that! I wouldn't get rid of it.

Harley is a Bishon/Poodle mix of some kind. He was tied to a post somewhere in Buena Park and taken in by a kind woman. A friend of Mary's (my GF) thought it would be perfect for her and sent a picture text. Well, I knew Mary was going to get this dog one way or another, and as I said, within 5 minutes the dog had my heart and soul. Is it a big Rotty? No. Do I still want a big Rott? Yes. Will not having a big dog make me any different than I am today? No. A dog doesn't make you who you are or really represent anything about you. People would like to think that dogs are representin', but that's just a perception that's full of poop.

If you haven't figured it out by now, his name is "Harley" and he's a rescue pet. If you have ever wanted a pet, look in a shelter today, adopt one and I guarantee that you'll learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible.


No comments: